Common Questions

Common Questions

Something on
your mind?

Have a look at our commonly asked questions below. And if you still can’t find the answer you’re looking for, please, drop us a line. We’re here to help.

Contact Us

What is Liability Insurance?

Liability insurance pays for bodily injury or property damage done to a third party. If you are sued, your liability insurance will pay legal costs to defend you and will settle on your behalf if you are found negligent (at fault). Being negligent means that you’ve done something that a reasonable or prudent person wouldn’t do, or you didn’t do something that a reasonable or prudent person would.

Can Hoffmann Kool give me a discount on my insurance?

Unfortunately, no. As a brokerage we must abide by The Insurance Act, and this does not allow us to give discounts on insurance.

Some insurance companies, however, do give discounts for things like having a monitored alarm system, for not having a claim for several years, for having more than one vehicle on your policy, etc.

Is there tax on insurance?

Yes. As of August 1, 2017 PST is now applicable to most kinds of insurance in the province of Saskatchewan.

How much should I insure my belongings for?

The minimum limit you can insure to is $30,000, but you can choose whatever limit you want to insure your contents for! We do think it’s a good idea to review what you have and to estimate how much money you think you would need to replace everything you have with brand new stuff. We have an inventory list that might help you along. Click here.

Why do I need Third Party Liability (TPL) Insurance?

The great thing about Third Party Liability Insurance is that it gives you liability insurance for your premises plus it gives you Personal Liability Insurance that follows you anywhere in the world, and covers you for being negligent. The definition of negligence is doing something that a reasonable person wouldn’t do, or not doing something that a reasonable person would. For example, let’s say you rent a hotel room and somehow you accidentally start a fire. If the hotel sued you for the damages to their property, your TPL would protect you in a court of law, and pay any settlement placed upon you (up to the limit on your policy).

Can my roommate and I share a policy?

If you are family, or if you are in a relationship – you can share a policy. Otherwise, each occupant requires their own.

If I move or buy a home, can my tenant policy be transferred to my new location?

You bet! We can amend the address to reflect your new residence, and if needed, change the type of policy you have to give you Homeowner’s coverage.

Who insures what? The Condo Corp vs. the Condo Unit Owner

The Condo Corporation typically insures the building, and it will insure it to be rebuilt how it was originally built.

The Condo Unit Owner is responsible for their own contents, and for any upgrades done to the unit. (For example, the unit owner removed the original carpet, and installed hardwood floors.)

It is always recommended to look at the Estoppel Certificate to see exactly who is responsible for what – all condos can slightly differ.

What is my “Deductible Buy Down”?

The building policy for your Condo Corporation will have a deductible that needs to be paid in the event of a loss. Typically, this deductible is in the range of $5,000 – $25,000. If a claim occurs and the deductible needs to be paid, it is typically assessed to the condo unit owners.

In the event of a covered loss, with your Deductible Buy Down, you will only need to pay your deductible – your policy will pay the additional amounts assessed to you by the Condo Corporation.

What does “Contingent Coverage” mean?

In the event of a covered loss, where the Condo Corporation does not have insurance, or their policy is inadequate – your policy will pay up to the amount of protection shown on your policy page to cover your interest in your unit.

Why did my rates go up this year?

The cost to insure your home generally goes up each year to account for the increased cost of construction (and you will see the limit on your home will go up each year on your policy to correspond).

The rates may also increase according to losses not only in Saskatchewan, but across Canada and around the world.

Insurers are also adding new coverages, and sometimes additional premium is attached to them. Often times these are optional coverages and allow for some flexibility and choice on your policy.

I saw this phrase on my policy: “This policy contains a clause that may limit your amount payable.” What does this mean?

This is often referring to your deductible. In the event of a loss, all policies carry a deductible. This is the portion of the loss that you are responsible to pay. Your policy will show you what your deductible is.

Am I covered for Sewer Back Up and Overland Flood?

Sewer Back Up (SBU) and Overland Flood coverage are optional. If you have coverage, it will be stated on your policy cover pages. For more information on the importance of Flood and SBU, click here. Note: when you have a broken pipe consumers often refer to this as a “flood” – “my basement is flooded”. In the insurance world, a broken pipe that causes water damage is called “water escape” – this is different than “overland flood”.

Is a wood burning fire place considered a Solid Fuel Heating appliance that will cause a surcharge on my policy?

No. However, fireplace INSERTS are considered a Solid Fuel Heating appliance, and they need to be recorded that way in order to maintain proper coverage on your Home or Seasonal Home policy. Anytime that you have some sort of “solid fuel heating” in your home you should let your broker know.

How many times does my house need to be checked when I am away?

Unfortunately, all insurance companies differ on this answer. But once per day during the primary heating season is a good rule of thumb.

If you have a 24 hour monitored alarm system that monitors for low temperature, you don’t need anyone to check your home at all! If you are going away during the heating season, it is a good idea to consult your broker to find out the rules that are specific to your insurance company.

Do I have coverage that will pay for the costs of a Rental Car?

You need to have a Loss of Use endorsement on your policy to be guaranteed a rental vehicle. This coverage does come at an additional cost and is not automatically included on your policy. It can be added with a simple phone call though 😊

Does my stone chip repair affect my premium?

All claims will impact your rate for the next renewal term. The increase from having no claims for Road Hazard Glass and 1 chip repaired is approximately $6/year.

I have multiple door dings on my car. Can I get them fixed under my insurance?

You sure can. However, each ding is considered a separate claim, and each claim will have your deductible applied. Typically, this makes claims of this nature not worth pursuing.

Does my coverage extend to a Rental Car?

Yes. Your package policy coverage will extend to a similar, temporary substitute vehicle in Canada and the USA. It will also extend to anyone that you give permission to drive, as long as they have a valid driver’s licence. *Some restrictions may apply – give us a shout.

If I borrow my friend’s car, am I covered?

Yes. Your package policy will extend to any temporary substitute vehicle. *Some restrictions may apply.

I have someone asking for proof of my insurance. Is that something Hoffmann Kool can provide for me?

Absolutely. We get many of these requests daily – some might be from your customers, maybe from banks or leasing companies when you finance new equipment or a vehicle, or possibly from your Landlord.

Send the requirements to: and we will take care of it.

Insurance can be confusing We know insurance tends to be a little bit confusing…

At Hoffmann Kool, we're here to make things clear.
If you have a question, chances are we have the answer. And if we don't, we'll do all we can to find it for you.

Common Questions Contact Us